Walmart is the country’s biggest retail store with stores in every state and in most major cities. Like most things Wal-Mart, they decided to build their own in-house team for logistics and transportation. The company is such a powerhouse that they have their own dedicated team of truckers to ensure their product reaches their many warehouses across North America.
Both local driving jobs and long haul trucking jobs are offered through the company.
Walmart trucking jobs can be found in nearly every state in the country.
Walmart is named as one of the top trucking companies to work for in the industry.
While the company may be known for paying their in-store employees poorly, the average Walmart truck driver salary beats industry standards, and drivers:
- Receive great benefits.
- Are home every 2 days and weekends.
- All routes are drop and hook.
Drivers are not responsible for any loading or unloading when working for Walmart.
Walmart Trucking Requirements
The company employs its own fleet of 7,200 drivers. Driving nearly 700 million miles last year alone, Walmart owns 6,000 tractors, 53,500 trailers and over 5,600 refrigerated trailers. One of the safest private trucking companies in the country, Walmart truck drivers must all meet the following requirements:
- Class A commercial driver’s license (Hazmat endorsement)
- Full-time, Class A driving for 30 months in the past 3 years
- A maximum of 2 personal moving violations in the last 3 years
- No serious commercial motor vehicle traffic violations in the last 3 years
- No DUI/DWI in the last 10 years
- No preventable accidents in the last 10 years
- No accidents resulting in fatality in the past 10 years
If you want to work for the company, you must either live within a 250 mile radius of the facility you applied with, or you must be willing to relocate before the first day of work. All drivers will go through an initial orientation with the company.
All jobs within the company are full-time positions, and drivers will have home time every 2 days and time off on the weekend. You won’t be demanded to work extended hours or never have home time like with other companies.
Walmart Truck Driver Salary
Trucking jobs at Walmart offer a very nice salary and come with a lot of additional perks. A few of the main factors to consider before going into payscale numbers are:
- Additional Pay: Walmart pays for everything from training to mileage, so you’re always paid for your work.
- Hands–free: Your job is to drive – period. You won’t be required to load or unload freight at any time.
- Bonuses: Quarterly bonuses are given to all drivers that maintain a safe driving record.
Walmart is very direct with their current salary numbers and states that a first-year driver working 5.5 days per week earns, on average, $82,000 per year. These figures will obviously change depending on location.
Further salary statistics based off of input from 8 employees state that Walmart trucking jobs pay a salary that is 61% higher than the current national average.
Based off of real statistics, salary is:
- $79,994 on average
- $81,707 with total compensation
Cash bonuses per year are between $3,000 and $4,000. Profit sharing is also provided, with an average profit sharing of $1,698.
When working for the company, the average Walmart truck driver salary does not include several perks. These perks also have an immense value and include:
- Employee Discount: All employees will enjoy a 10% in-store discount on all general merchandise.
- Retirement: Under the current 401k options, Walmart will match your contributions up to 6%. Some employees state that Walmart matches up to 10% of your contributions, but this doesn’t seem to be the case in every store.
- Health Insurance: Many affordable healthcare options are offered to truckers. Employees do complain that healthcare costs have increased over the past few years with less coverage provided.
Walmart does offer dental and vision insurance as well as life insurance. Discounts at the in-store pharmacy are provided. All employees for the Walmart Company are allowed to enter into the stock purchase plan. Under this plan, you’ll be able to buy stock in one of the world’s largest companies.
Hiring is dependent on 30 months of experience driving commercially in the past 36 months. As a driver, you will need to work for another company before joining the Walmart Company as a driver. The company is very strict with this policy and will not make any exceptions.
The number of available jobs at the current moment is just 12 due to the high retention rate of drivers.
Think about that for a moment, most companies are constantly recruiting and hiring due to high volatility in their driving force.
Many truckers state that working for Walmart is much better than working for competitors.
The main reason truckers prefer Walmart over other companies is the pay and home time. Normal work schedules are 8 – 10 hours on the road per day. All drivers will be trained to meet the standards of the company and will be required to fill out detailed reports. Planning alternate routes and computer usage are requirements of the job.
Walmart does not discuss any team driving options, and with all freight being drop and load, it’s unlikely that Walmart will focus on this sector in the future.
If you’re a truck driver looking for a normalized schedule with great benefits, Walmart trucking jobs may provide you with the best salary and home time in the industry.