Black Horse Carriers is a privately-owned carrier with roots that date back to the 1880s. In its early days, the company – based in Des Plaines, Illinois – was known as Des Plaines Transfer.
They used horses and wagons to transport household items. In 1925, the company replaced its horses and wagons with motorized trucks.
Over the years, the company grew. In the 1980s, Black Horse Carriers, Inc. was formed. By the middle of the decade, they had six operating centers, more than 500 employees, a fleet of more than 1,200 tractors, trailers and trucks.
While the company has seen its highs and lows, it remains today a solid player in the transportation industry – bringing in $491 million in revenue.
Black Horse Carriers Jobs
Black Horse Carriers boasts a fleet of 1,700 company-owned tractors, 4,000 trailers, 400 straight trucks, and 4 pickups and vans. They have more than 80 terminals across the U.S.
The company hauls a variety of different goods, from retail and consumer goods to foods and perishables, bakery and deli, and automotive and industrial.
In the food and perishable department, they offer attended and unattended delivery every day of the week and 24-hour coverage. Drivers will be expected to load and unload these shipments.
Drivers in the bakery and deli unit will be trained to properly load and unload delicate baked goods
Those who deliver retail and consumer goods can expect to make early morning deliveries and storefront deliveries. These drivers sometimes use specialized equipment, like rail lift gates, GPS tracking and air ride to ensure the best possible service.
The company’s services primarily include dedicated truckload and refrigerated (LTL and truckload).
Full-time and part-time positions are available. Local driving jobs are also available, which offer daily home time. Of course, there are also OTR positions for drivers who enjoy being out on the road.
In order to be considered for a position at Black Horse Carriers, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 23 years of age
- Have a minimum of 18 months driving experience
- Have a clean driving record for the last 2 years
- Pass a physical exam, which includes a lower back examination
- Pass a drug test
- Pass a road test under real-life driving conditions
- Submit references from previous employers
- Agree to a comprehensive background check
Safety is a top priority at Black Horse Carriers, and drivers must also undergo special training as part of their “The Customer is Always Right” program. This program trains drivers on:
- Proper handling of merchandise
- Proper conduct when interacting with shipper employees and customers
- Proper preparation of documents
- Compliance with safety rules and regulations
- Completion of daily “Activity Reports”
Company drivers enjoy new equipment, like:
- 2016 or newer Freightliner trucks
- Comfort seats
- Deluxe cab interiors
- XM radio subscription (paid by the company)
- 15L engines
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Heated/cooled seats & heated mirrors
Drivers can also take advantage of technology their personal CSA scores:
- Qualcomm and People Net to manage hours within DOT regulations
- E-Logs to eliminate form and manner violations
The Black Horse Carriers Veterans Employment Initiative helps veterans transition to the civilian work force.
Driver Pay and Benefits
According to Black Horse Carriers reviews, drivers earn great salaries and enjoy excellent benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Life insurance paid by the company
- 401(k) program
- Disability insurance (both long and short term)
- 6 paid holidays
- Driver referral bonus
- Paid vacation time
- Safety bonuses
Many positions at Black Horse Carriers have guaranteed pay. Pay rates will vary, depending on the position and location. Areas along the west coast and east coast tend to pay more than those in the Midwest and southern U.S.
Still, these pay discrepancies are negligible and justifiable considering the higher cost of living in these areas.
Here are a few example job postings:
Local Drivers – Full-time and Part-time Positions
- $800/week guaranteed for PT; 25 hours per week on average
- $1,200/week guaranteed for FT; average weekly pay of $1,300-$1,600
- Home daily
Local and OTR Dedicated Routes
- $1,300/week on average
- Mileage pay of $0.46/mile with $30 per stop when required
- Local snack loads at $25/hour
- Day and evening shifts
- $1,600/week guaranteed for the first 60 days
- $80,000+ per year
The figures listed on the company’s website are in line with the salaries listed on 3rd-party tools.
Combined with our salary data from current and past employees shows that drivers earn:
- $1,236 per week
- $64,272 annually
Drivers say that Black Horse Carriers is an “excellent place to work.”
They love the benefits and pay. Some complain of management, but that’s a common issue in the trucking industry.
Employees also like the freedom and autonomy that their position offers. There is no one breathing down your neck, and drivers say they don’t have cameras in their trucks.
Daily home time is a plus for local jobs, and positions are plentiful. It doesn’t hurt that we like their logo either…