McElroy Truck Lines is a leader in the flatbed business in the Alabama area. The company claims it only hires the best truck drivers and offers excellent perks to keep them happy, like guaranteed home time every weekend. They hire company drivers, student graduates, over the road truckers and owner operators.
McElroy has been in the business for more than five decades, and earned the 2015 Lowes Overall Carrier of the Year. They’ve also earned the Lowe’s Flatbed Carrier of the Year Award for the last 13 out of 14 years. Needless to say, they’re one of the best flatbed trucking companies out there.
Ready To Start Earning More
But how much do they pay? Are they a good company to work for?
The Perks of Working for McElroy Trucking
As a family-run company, McElroy understands the importance of spending quality time with the family. That’s why they offer home time every weekend to most company drivers.
Most of McElroy’s truckers get home Friday afternoon and head back to work on Sunday afternoon. Many get home time during the week if they are part of the regional or dedicated units.
Aside from weekly home time, drivers also enjoy the following advantages:
- Permanent truck assignments (no slip seating)
- New-model conventional tractors
- All local or regional runs
- Open door policy
McElroy is a family-run business, but they also make note that they have a Christian work environment. Depending on your own personal beliefs, this may or may not be an advantage.
McElroy Trucking Careers
McElroy offers positions as a company driver, owner operator or over the road truckers. They also hire newly-graduated students.
The company offers truck driving jobs in MS, LA, TX, TN, KY, IL, IN, OH, GA, AB, SC, NC, VA, MI, MD, FL and PA.
Once hired, drivers will undergo seven weeks of training. Training includes:
- Four weeks of one-on-one instruction with an experienced driver trainer.
- Use of a driving stimulator to learn how to handle hazardous driving conditions and blowouts.
The first week of training consists of orientation. In the second week, drivers will move to on-the-yard training where they will work with safety managers. Important things, like DOT regulations, load securement and backing, will be discussed.
Week three to six will be dedicated to on-the-road training with a driver trainer.
The final week will include an evaluation and skills test. If you make it through, you will be assigned a truck.
The company provides hotel accommodations with a full breakfast and hot lunch during the orientation and yard training weeks.
All trainees must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a Class A CDL
- No drug or alcohol conviction within 7 years
- No DWI, DUI, careless or reckless driving in the last 7 years
- Steady work history
- Pass a hair follicle and urine drug screening
- Pass an agility test
- Be able to lift and carry at least 100 pounds
McElroy accepts recent graduates who have obtained their CDL Class A license. Student graduates enjoy the following perks:
- $550-$1,000 paid orientation and training, depending on location and experience level
- Home time most weekends during training
- Lodging and most meals provided during the first two weeks of training
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $5,000 (at $250 per month)
McElroy Trucking Salary & Benefits
McElroy Pay Rankings
User Review( votes)
McElroy’s driver requirements are pretty standard. But what does their pay scale look like?
How much you earn will depend on whether you work as a company driver or an owner-operator.
Company Driver Pay and Benefits
According to McElroy, company drivers receive:
- $700 minimum pay weekly
- Layover pay
- Detention pay
- Breakdown pay
- Minimum pay per load (60-69 cpm on average)
- 8 paid holidays
- Paid vacation (1 week after 1 year; 2 weeks after 3 years; 3 weeks after 10 years)
- Direct deposit every week
- $2,000-$4,000 sign-on bonus for experienced drivers
- $1,000-$2,000 referral bonus for experienced drivers
Company drivers also receive great benefits and perks, which include:
- Employee silver health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Vision insurance
- Accident insurance
- $20K paid life insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- Accident insurance
- Flexible spending account
- 401(K) retirement plan w/company match
- No Hazmat
- 65% of loads are pre-loaded and pre-tarped
- Rider policy
Here’s a breakdown of the pay for local and regional company drivers
|Experience||Pay Rate Per Mile|
|<1 Year||45 cents||48 cents|
|1 Year||46 cents||49 cents|
|2 Years||47 cents||50 cents|
|3+ Years||48 cents||51 cents|
Owner-operators who work with McElroy are paid differently than company drivers. Owner-operators can choose between regional, over the road and local positions.
Here’s a breakdown of how the pay works:
- 70% of gross pulling with MTL trailer
- 77% of gross pulling with owner-operator trailer
Owner operators also enjoy the following perks:
- 70% of loads are pre-loaded and pre-tarped
- 100% fuel surcharge
- Tag bonus
- Referral bonuses
- Fuel, parts and tire discounts
- Insurance options
McElroy Truck Lines Reviews
According to Indeed.com, truck drivers working for McElroy earn about $59,805 per year. That figure fits with the company’s claim that drivers receive at least $700 per week.
As far as the work environment goes, the company is rated well by employees. Some say it’s a great company to work for only if you don’t have a family, but others praise the carrier for caring for its drivers.
Some employees complain about management being rude and the company being very strict about how things should be done. But these things should not be surprising given the company’s reputation for being stringent.
Overall, people enjoy working for McElroy and the company offers excellent pay.
Ready To Start Earning More