This post was last updated on July 19th, 2019
Prime Inc. provides safe and reliable freight with an always on-time service. The company deals with refrigerated, flatbed, tanker and intermodals hauls. Contractors can work with the company to lease a truck, or drivers can also use a company truck.
The company is a fast-growing entity with a high pay scale.
Prime Inc Pay
The pay a driver makes will depend on the type of truck he or she is driving. There are several positions available:
Hauling lumber, coils and steel, anyone working on a flatbed will be able to choose between OTR and regional options. Regions are broken down into the Midwest, Northeast and South Central.
Starting pay is .40 cpm.
Hauling refrigerated trucks filled with fresh foods, meats, ice cream and more, truckers also have local, regional and OTR opportunities in a refrigerated truck. Starting pay for this position is .43 cpm.
Hauling food-grade shipments, tank truckers will earn more than their counterparts at .45 cpm. Wait time between hauls is minimal, and OTR and regional options are available.
Prime Inc. does not publicly list their intermodal trucking rates. However, the company does state that all company drivers earn up to .43 cpm, so intermodal drivers can expect the same great pay scale.
Prime Trucking pays significantly more to owner-operators that own their own rig.
In this position, the owner can:
- Earn up to 71% of the haul on tankers.
- Earn up to 72% with refrigerated or flatbed hauls.
The company also offers a no-money-down leasing option to drivers.
Prime Inc Driver Benefits
Pay isn’t the only thing that drivers worry about. The environment and the benefits that they receive also holds an immense value. The company offers the following benefits and rewards for being a driver:
- Education Prime: Offered to all associates. This allows drivers to receive discounts on tuition, room and board when working for the company.
- Safety Awards: Pins, jackets and hats are the rewards given to safe drivers. Drivers will be able to earn these rewards every 6 months and yearly.
- Healthcare and Medical: There are a variety of insurance plans offered to drivers, including dental, life and medical as well as other benefits. There are high and low PPO plans available.
- 401-K: A success sharing plan. Drivers can invest in a 401k after working for the company for one entire quarter. Profit sharing match is offered at 100% for the first 3% and 50% on the next 2%. Drivers are able to place up to 75% of their paycheck in a 401k.
- Vacation Rates: Vacation is paid in a tiered fashion based on miles driven. Any drivers that driver up to 625,000 miles get a week off at $500; $1,100 for up to 1.375 million miles (two weeks); $1,800 for up to 2.125 million miles.
- Home Policy: Drivers get 24 hours off for every 7 days worked.
- Passenger Policy: One passenger is allowed in the truck with you that is 12 years of age or older.
- Pet Policy: One pet is allowed to accompany a driver with a weight restriction of 30 pounds. A non-refundable deposit is required.
There are positions available for all experienced and non-experienced drivers.
Trainees are paid for their time with the company. Prime will pay $200 per week for the first 30 days of training. This amount is withheld from future paychecks in $25 increments. However, once trainees have successfully passed their CDL exam, they will be paid more.
Drivers that are still trainees and have their CDL will be paid:
- $700 per week or;
- .12 cpm
A person will be paid this rate for up to 6 months. Most drivers will be done with training by this time.
Prime Student Driver Pay Program
Anyone that wants to be a driver but does not have a CDL can apply for the Prime Student Driver program.
This program is valued at $3,500 with a $150 administrative fee.
Associates that stay with the company for an entire year will have their tuition forgiven completely with no interest accrued.
To enter the student driver program, a driver must:
- Have a valid U.S. driver’s license for no less than 1 year.
- Be able to obtain a U.S. Passport
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Show proof of residency
- Have no reckless convictions over the last 3 years
- Have 4 years of no failed drug or alcohol tests
- Have no license suspensions in the last 3 years
- Have 2 or less moving violations in the last year
Potential students that want to go to trucking school will need to have references and past job experience. Not all students are allowed to enroll in the school, and applications will be reviewed by the company.
Anyone that does become a student will be able to obtain their CDL and follow the company’s apprentice driving program. Most students will land a job with Prime Trucking right out of the training program.
Prime Trucking Reviews
Drivers have left reviews about the company to alert other drivers of the experience they will have. A few of the major concerns seen are:
- There is little at-home time given, which can be difficult for drivers with families.
- Drivers would like to be able to pick their loads.
A great place to gain experience with a steady paycheck is one of the many bonuses for working with Prime Trucking. The only real complaint that is seen with most companies is that there is little home time, but the company is upfront about their 24 hours off for every 7 days worked policy. It is a demanding job, but one that pays great benefits and allows a trucker to enter the field with a company that pays very competitive rates.
Drivers note that the trucks and equipment were well maintained and often newer models.
Real driver review:
Great company with a great training program if you end up with a great trainer. They have awesome equipment for the most part and like to have all of it up to date with preventative maintenance.
Prime Trucking pay is competitive and honest. The company pays its drivers very well and even offers a student program for potential drivers that want to enter the field. All employee reviews state the company provides a great working environment.