This post was last updated on July 22nd, 2016
Founded in 2004, P&S Transportation is one of the fastest growing companies in the flatbed truckload transportation industry. Based out of Birmingham, Alabama, the company specializes in flatbed freight with services offered throughout the Northeast, Southeast and Midwest. P&S has a reputation for treating their drivers with the respect they deserve, which makes them an excellent company to start your trucking career.
Let’s take a closer look at what P&S has to offer in terms of pay scale and driver requirements.
Areas of Operation
P&S currently has three divisions, or regions, that they serve:
- Northeast region
P&S Transportation runs in all 48 continental states, and has 14 offices in the United States. The company offers driving jobs in NJ as well as other parts of the country. Because driving jobs are available in just about every state in the country, drivers who don’t have a desire to relocate will enjoy working for P&S.
Of course, drivers will need to meet the company’s stringent requirements before they will be considered for employment.
P&S Trucking has strict hiring requirements to ensure they employ only the best drivers. All drivers must meet the following requirements in order to be considered:
- 23 years of age or older
- At least 2 years of driving experience with a CDL-A
- No more than one at fault accident on their driving record in the last 3 years
- No DUI or DWI listed on their driving record within the last 10 years
Potential drivers must also pass the company’s pre-employment physical as well as a drug screening.
P&S states that they are looking for drivers with the following qualities:
All of these qualities are necessary for a successful career as a P&S company driver.
It’s important to note that P&S does not offer CDL training. You will need to have your CDL-A and a few years of experience to even be considered for a driving position. If you have yet to earn your CDL and want to get a feel for the company’s culture and what it’s like to work for them, consider applying for one of their non CDL driving jobs.
New drivers must attend orientation to get acquainted with the company’s policies and procedures. Training sessions are offered every Monday in Birmingham, Alabama and Emporia, Virginia.
Typically, orientation lasts four days (until Thursday). P&S will pay for your lodging, travel expenses and meals during the orientation. During your training, you will get the chance to meet management and learn about the company’s safety policies. The goal is to help you prepare for your career at P&S both financially and professionally.
P&S’s offices are open, which make it more accessible to managers. The company promotes collaboration and friendship, which is good news for drivers. Even though you won’t be working in the office, you can find peace of mind in knowing that management and other employees will be friendly and pleasant to work with.
Salary and Benefits
P&S offers excellent pay. Most drivers will earn between 46 and 48 cents per mile, or 27% of the linehaul revenue. The company pays its drivers weekly through direct deposit. New drivers will also be given a sign-on bonus of $2,000.
P&S also offers a great referral program. Drivers who refer friends and family to P&S will receive a $2,000 bonus for each referred driver.
Employees also enjoy a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision and dental insurance. Coverage will also be extended to dependent family members who qualify. P&S provides each driver with $10,000 in life insurance at no cost to them, and each employee has the option to purchase additional coverage.
Other employee benefits include:
- Paid vacation time
- Rider program that lets drivers carry and adult passenger after 90 days
- Home time every weekend
- Pet program – P&S lets drivers bring their pets on the road at no charge
Drivers are also rewarded for being professional, driving safely and practicing good driving habits. P&S has several recognition programs in place, including:
- Good Driver Recognition: This award is given to drivers who demonstrate excellent driving habits and have Drive Cam videos.
- Flatbed Driver of the Month: Each month, a driver is picked based on nominations from driver management and others in the company.
- Flatbed Driver Fuel Efficiency Program: P&S rewards drivers who are environmentally conscious. The company offers two MPG reward programs: ROI and Long Idle. The ROI program provides 1 driver with 50,000 Drive for Gold Points and 9 others with 20,000 Drive for Gold points. The Long Idle program rewards one driver each month with 20,000 points and 19 other drivers with 10,000 points.
- Flatbed Driver Safety Awards: P&S recognizes drivers who put safety first. The company rewards drivers who have consecutive years of zero accidents, cargo claims or workplace injuries.
Owner Operator Opportunities
Want to run your own truck? P&S offers a lease purchase program that lets drivers create and maintain their own small business. The company has more than 300 lease purchase contractors, and each one is treated like a business partner.
P&S’s Lease Purchase program includes:
- No money down.
- 100% fuel surcharge.
- Newer model equipment that’s fleet maintained.
- Access to a large network of customers.
- Referral bonuses.
- 24/7 maintenance and operation support.
- Discount pricing on parts, fuel and maintenance.
- Bobtail and physical damage insurance, FHUT and tags are all purchased through P&S’s settlement process.
In order to be considered for the Lease Purchase program, you must first drive for the company for 90 days. Once you get to know the company’s systems, you can get started as an owner operator.
The company does not disclose how much owner operators earn, but most trucking companies offer higher pay to owner operators.
P&S Transportation offers competitive pay, great benefits and the opportunity for drivers to become owner operators through the Lease Purchase program. With more than decade of experience in the business, P&S is a great choice for drivers who have their CDL-A license and have been on the road for at least 2 years.