Crete Carrier has been in business since 1966 and is one of the largest private trucking companies in the United States.
Crete offers both company driver and owner operator positions, which gives truckers the freedom to choose the trajectory of their career. The company boasts an industry low turnover rate and competitive pay.
Ready To Start Earning More
While this all sounds great on paper, what a company offers and what a driver experiences as an employee can be two totally different things. Let’s take a closer look at what the company offers in terms of jobs, pay and benefits.
Crete Trucking Jobs
Crete offers a number of driving positions, primarily in the dedicated trucking field. Positions can be found in most parts of the country, and many offer weekly home time.
To qualify for a job with Crete, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least 22 years of age
- One year tractor trailer experience
- Pass the company and DOT physical
- Have a stable and verifiable work history
- No DWI or DUI convictions within the last five years
- Have an acceptable driving record with no major preventable accidents within the last five years
- Be able to perform the job functions listed in the job posting
- Must have a valid CDL
All applicants who are cleared for hire will need to attend orientation at one of the company’s orientation locations:
- New Kingston, Pennsylvania
- Lenoir City, Tennessee
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- Wilmer, Texas
Drivers are paid $170 for orientation, and all expenses are covered, including: lodging, food and transportation to the orientation site.
The classroom portion of orientation familiarizes drivers with the company’s mobile technology and reviews safety guidelines. Drivers will also be required to go through a road test, which includes:
- Coupling/uncoupling procedure
- Pre-trip inspection
- Road course
Crete Trucking Pay, Benefits and Driver Programs
User Review( votes)
Let’s get right to the most important things: pay, benefits and driver programs. If you’re considering working for Crete, these are probably the top three things on your mind.
Crete does offer competitive pay. The company says it has been independently certified as a National Transportation Institute’s Top Paying carrier.
- Drivers are paid between $0.46 and $0.49 per practical mile, depending on how much experience they have.
The top 25% of company drivers earn over $69,000 per year.
That figure is pretty close to what you’ll find on independent salary sites. According to Indeed.com, company drivers earn about $66,000 per year.
Drivers will also receive additional compensation for:
- Breakdown pay: $100 per 24-hour period after the first 12 hours.
- Stop-off pay: $30 per additional stop (if the load requires stops in addition to the original pickup and delivery locations).
- Load and unload: Paid according to Crete’s loading and unloading payment schedule.
- Hazmat reimbursement: Reimburses drivers $100 for acquiring the Haz-Mat endorsement.
- Detention pay: OTR drivers will receive detention pay after two hours of wait time.
Crete offers benefits to employees after 30 days of employment. These benefits include:
- Retirement: 401(k) contribution and profit sharing plans.
- Health care: Health, vision and dental insurance is available to drivers and their families. Dependent and health care flexible spending plans can also be established. Crete also offers drivers short-term disability coverage and basic life insurance automatically.
- Time off: Drivers receive paid vacation time, depending on how long they’ve worked for the company.
- 1 year employment: 1 week of paid vacation time
- 2 years employment: 2 week paid vacation time
- 10 or more years employment: 3 weeks paid vacation time
Drivers also receive up to $100 per day for jury duty, and military leave is also available.
Along with their extensive benefits, Crete also offers special driver programs, which give drivers a few extra perks.
Crete is one of the trucking companies that allow pets in their cabs. Drivers are allowed to bring their furry friend on the road with them. One dog or cat is permitted to travel in the truck permitted it weighs less than 60 pounds.
Drivers can also take a friend or family member out on the road through its zero-cost rider program.
Children under the age of four must be accompanied by an adult. Only one child can ride in the truck. Only one adult can ride in the truck.
Crete pays a $1,000 referral fee to any qualified truck driver or team referred by drivers.
Dependents of drivers can take advantage of the company’s scholarships.
Company drivers enjoy discounts and special offers from local and national companies throughout the year, from restaurants to cell phone carriers.
Safe Driver Program
Safe drivers are awarded for their conduct. To qualify, drivers must be employed with the company for at least a year, drive at least 100,000 miles per year and have no preventable accidents in the last year.
Awards include plaques, pins, cards, patches, certificates, rings, dangles, diamond chips and more.
Million Mile Program
Drivers join the Million Mile Club once they’ve exceed one million career miles. A decal is added to the truck to recognize the achievement.
Is Crete a Good Company to Work For?
Crete Carrier reviews from company drivers are mostly positive. While not perfect, drivers say the company is fair and offers reliable miles with above average pay.
Most of the complaints in review have to do with work/life balance, which is a common complaint with OTR driving positions. Many say this is a great company to start an OTR career with, while others say it’s better for more experienced drivers.
Compensation and company culture get the highest ratings, while work/life balance, job security and management get lower scores from drivers.
Ready To Start Earning More