Estes Trucking has been in business for over 85 years. From a small company to over 16,000 employees in 2014, Estes has grown into one of the world’s most innovative and well-liked trucking outfits. The company operates over 200 terminals and covers all 50 states. Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean are also handled by Estes Trucking.
Estes Trucking Careers
Outstanding service is Estes’ main goal. The company works mainly with LTL freight, so truckers are always in demand. We’ll be touching more on trucker salaries in a minute. If you’re not a truck driver, there are also other positions open at the company:
- Mechanics – Working at over 210 terminals and 70 independent shops, mechanics will maintain 6,500 tractors and 28,000 trailers. The average salary for mechanics within the company is not provided, but a survey from within the company shows hourly wages of $22 – $29, or $25.12 per hour (median).
- Clerks – Dealing with customers and answering driver questions, clerks make $12 – $13 an hour.
- Price Analysts – Dealing with load pricing, these professionals earn an average salary of $40,244.
- Terminal Managers – Ensuring that terminals are operating accordingly at all times, terminal managers earn between $69,000 and $100,000 a year, with the average salary listed as $84,804.
- Dockworkers – Loading and unloading at the dock will earn you an hourly wage of $18 – $20.
- Account Managers – Office jobs in the account managing field are offered. These professionals will deal with client accounts and earn a salary between $65,000 and $70,000 a year.
Estes Trucking is a major outfit with multiple job openings. You’ll also find several other job titles within the company.
Driving for the Company
The most plentiful Estes Trucking jobs are driving jobs. City drives are hired sparsely, but they do exist within the company. Most truckers will work in a region or nationwide position, wherein they’ll be on the road for days at a time.
Minimum Requirements for Drivers
All drivers within the company must meet the following requirements:
- Age 21 or older
- Class A CDL license
- Acceptable driving required
- Hazmat endorsement
- Tanker endorsement
- Double / triples endorsement
- 1-year of experience
If you have a position within the company for at least 6 months, Estes will allow you to attend driving school and become a driver. Promotion within the company is common, and the company will pay for driving school at no cost to you. Driving school will be on work time, so you’ll be paid for attending.
Driving for Estes
When driving for Estes Trucking, you’ll benefit from the following:
- New Equipment: Data from 2014 shows that 40% of all tractors were 2 or less years old. The company predicted this number would be closer to 60% in 2015.
- Technology: All new tractors have collision-avoidance systems, roll-stability and are equipped with the latest technology.
- Logs: Accurate record keeping is promoted by the company. Onboard systems eliminate excess paperwork. Estes truck tracking is top-notch, ensuring that you optimize earnings while driving efficiently.
Home time is rare in the trucking industry.
The company reports that 90% of all drivers are home daily or every other day. Dedicated routes are offered as well as regular schedules so that drivers can enjoy their time outside of work.
Benefits offered by the company include:
- Paid vacation
- Paid time off
- Holiday pay
- Insurance (health, vision, dental and life as well as disability)
- Tax-free spending accounts
- Credit union
- 401k with company match
- Health savings account
- Assistance programs
Estes Trucking Driver Pay
Estes provides their own average salary for truckers.
The company states that drivers working for the company earn $75,000 a year on average. This figure is based on OTR drivers. Local drivers will be paid less but can earn more bonuses.
The company also pays for lodging in motels, offers cell phone reimbursement, and eligibility is offered to some drivers.
A breakdown of the company’s pay scale, according to numerous sources in the industry, is as follows:
- P&D drivers earn $19 an hour to start (statistic from 2011)
- City drivers earn $22.21 an hour
- Road drivers earn $0.45+ per mile (statistic from 2011)
- 34 hours of driving per week
When working as an OTR driver with Estes Express Lines, you can earn $65,000 – $80,000 a year with a comfortable driving schedule, according to the most recent trucker survery in 2015.
You are always able to grind out more hours if necessary. There are many truckers within the company that earn $100,000 a year, but these drivers are working 6 days a week and will not take the weekend off.
You have the option of home time and a more relaxed schedule, or driving as much as possible to hit six-figure earnings.
Estes Trucking Reviews from Employees
Estes is one of the most praised trucking companies in the industry. One thing is certain – drivers love working for the company. A few of the most impressive reviews from drivers are:
- “Guys are able to earn 100k if they want to work extra on the weekend.”
- “Great company to work for. A lot of new tractors coming into the NJ terminal.”
- “I drive for Estes in the Midwest. As a line haul driver, I just go terminal to terminal.”
- “Pay is great.”
LTL drivers will enjoy the newer trucks and equipment. P&D drivers do ride in older trucks, according to reports from 2011 and 2012. This has been a major undertaking for the company as they’ve been swapping out old vehicles at a rate of 20% per year over the last three years. While it’s impossible to have all new trucks with so many on the road, the company does enjoy 60% of its trucks being 2 years old or less.
Estes Trucking is a company that long-term drivers recommend.
The atmosphere in the terminals is fast-paced, but the drivers are able to maximize their earnings as a result. And drivers are able to sleep at motels on the company’s money so that they don’t need to sleep in a sleeper. Many drivers also state that the hours worked are flexible, so if you need that extra hour or two of sleep before hitting the road, you can take it as loads are not rushed.
Estes Trucking Pay Rating
Name: Estes Trucking
User Review( votes)