K&B Transportation has been in business for more than three decades. The company is now headquartered in South Sioux City, NE, but its roots are in Sioux City, IA. Today, K&B is a leader in perishable food transport. Their operation includes more than 2,000 pieces of equipment.
The company says they offer competitive pay and benefits. They also offer a variety of positions to match the lifestyles and goals of their drivers.
K&B Transportation Trucking Jobs
Whether you prefer to be on the road for weeks at a time or home every weekend, K&B has a driving position that will help you meet your goals.
Midwest, National and Road Warrior OTR Jobs
The company’s OTR division offers opportunities to drive regionally, coast to coast or for months at a time.
- Midwest: Stay within the central U.S., traveling between Ohio, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Texas.
- National: Runs are primarily in the Midwest, but you may occasionally drive to the East or West coast.
- Road Warrior: Drivers stay out on the road for 2 months at a time and are home for 10 days at a time.
OTR drivers also enjoy flexible home time and a commitment to getting you home on time.
K&B’s dedicated driving jobs run primarily in the Midwest. This position is unique because you are paid on salary, so you don’t have to worry about how many miles you drive.
Their dedicated routes include:
- Yankton Dedicated
- Hillshire Brands
- Eagle Grove
- US Cold
Your weekly salary will be based on how long you’ve been with the company.
Midwest Home Weekends Jobs
If you want more home time, K&B has weekend positions that allow drivers to get back home every week in the upper Midwest. Top locations for weekly home time include:
- Kansas City, MO
- Denver, CO
- Davenport, IA
- Omaha, NE
- Waterloo, IA
- Minneapolis, MN
- Chicago, IL
- Columbus/Washington/Courthouse/Dayton, OH
K&B Transportation Driver Requirements
To drive for K&B, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have at least 6 months of over the road experience driving a tractor/trailer
- Hold a valid Class A CDL
- Have no more than 3 minor violations within the last 3 years
- No major chargeable accidents within the last 3 years
- No more than 1 minor chargeable accident within the last 3 years
K&B Transportation Pay and Benefits
Employee Reported Pay
K&B lists their pay rates on their website, but what do actual employees or former employees have to say about their salaries? At the time of publication, we only have feedback from 13 drivers so take this number with a grain of salt. We have several driver surveys out now that will shed more light on the actual annual earning rates for K&B drivers in 2022.
With that said, Data from Indeed.com shows the following salaries:
As you can see, these figures are all over the place. But, unfortunately, the data is only based on a handful of reported salaries.
K&B states that their Option 1 OTR drivers earn a guaranteed $1,500 per week, which equates to $78,000 gross pay. However, from our 13 driver reports we have the number at $58,322.
K&B Transport Pay Rankings
User Review( votes)
K&B is very transparent about the pay rates and benefits they offer. How much you earn will depend on which type of position you choose, how long you’ve been with the company and other factors.
Here’s the company’s current pay scale based on length of employment:
- 0-6 months: $0.60 CPM
- 6-12 months: $0.61 CPM
- 1-2 years: $0.62 CPM
- 2-4 years: $0.63 CPM
- 4+ years: $0.64 CPM
Accessory pay includes:
- Drop pay ($10 for additional drops or pickups)
- $200 for clean DOT inspection
- Detention pay ($10/hour after the first 3 hours)
- Layover pay ($25/6 hours after the first 24 hours)
OTR Driving Jobs Pay
At K&B, drivers can choose the standard OTR position, or go the Road Warrior route and stay on the road for an extended period of time.
Each position offers its own pay rates:
- Option 1 (Standard OTR): $1,500 guaranteed weekly pay, with starting pay of $0.60 CPM. Drivers get 2,500 miles weekly guaranteed, and with bonuses, drivers can easily earn $75,000-$80,000 gross pay annually.
- Option 2 (Road Warrior): Up to $0.70 CPM for being out up to 2 months at a time. Drivers still get 2,500 miles weekly guaranteed. Road Warriors can earn $85,000 or more gross pay.
Dedicated Driving Jobs Pay
For dedicated routes, pay will largely depend on how long you’ve been with the company. These are salaried positions. No matter how many miles you drive, your paycheck will be predictable.
Hillshire Brands, Yankton Dedicated and US Cold Runs
- 0-6 Months: $1,350–$1,575 per week
- 6-12 Months: $1,410–$1,645 per week
- 12+ Months: $1,470–$1,715 per week
- $1,200 per week
Home Weekends Pay
For drivers who work weekend positions, the pay is on par with Option 1 OTR drivers.
- Pay starts at $0.60 CPM
There are opportunities to earn more over time.
K&B Driver Benefits
K&B drivers also receive excellent benefits, such as:
- Regularly scheduled home time
- Health insurance packages that also include life and dental coverage through Aetna
- Vacation time
- Sign-on bonuses
- Safety, driver referral and clean inspection bonuses
K&B Transport Equipment
One of the perks of driving for K&B is that drivers get to use new and advanced equipment, like the 2022 Freightliner.
The brand new Freightliner offers a host of features, like:
- Lane departure control
- 80-gallon tanks
- Rollover stability
- Bluetooth radio
- Cobra 29 CB radio
- Omnitracs for real-time tracking and reporting
- Power inverter
K&B Driver Orientation
Like any other driving position, new K&B drivers must go through orientation before they hit the road. As part of their commitment to drivers and their education, the company has constructed a building specifically for orientation. The facility includes a classroom as well as a hands-on learning center that has a full-sized tractor and reefer.
Orientation typically lasts two days, and drivers receive their trucks on the second day.
- Day one will consist of road tests, DOT physical, drug test and completion of the driver qualification file. The rest of the day will be focused on class time.
- Day two will focus primarily on classroom time, which will include company policies and procedures. In addition, drivers will receive their tractors, meet with their dispatchers and go through inspection of their trucks.
For drivers who are far from the orientation facility, K&B will cover the cost of a flight to their South Sioux City location.