Hilco Transport was founded in 1987, and has been expanding ever since. In 1988, the company began hauling municipal solid waste, and in 2005, they expanded into the liquid propane business. Today, Hilco is the third largest transporter of propane in North Carolina.
Headquartered in Greensboro, NC, Hilco has a fleet of more than 500 power units and operates several divisions.
Ready To Start Earning More
Hilco Transport Divisions
Since its founding, Hilco Transport has continued to expand its offerings and diversify into new divisions. Today, Hilco operates several divisions, including:
- Ammonia Transport Services: Aqua and urea, industrial and agricultural.
- Dump Transport Services: Aluminum and steel dump trailers. Hilco’s dump truck division can haul metal, construction material, brick, rock, stone, fill dirt, concrete and more.
- Waste Transport Services: Municipal, recyclables, C&D waste, and more. Their solid waste and recyclables units operate out of Greensboro, Clinton, Kannapolis, Wilmington, Durham and Troy in North Carolina.
- Liquid Transport Services: Asphalt emulsion and liquid asphalt transport. Hilco’s tankers have a 6,750-gallon capacity, with steel and aluminum barrels available. Aluminum barrels can handle temperatures up to 375° F, while steel can handle higher temperatures up to 500° F.
- Petroleum Transport Services: Black oil, diesel, gasoline, jet and aviation fuel transport, and more. This division serves NC, SC, VA, WV, TN and GA.
- Propane Transport Services: Liquid propane, propane cylinders and butane. Tankers in this division have an 11,600-gallon capacity, which is much larger than average. They also have an advanced LDS 60 passive shutdown system. This division services most of the East Coast as well as Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.
The carrier excels in each of its divisions. Along with being one of the top propane transporters in the state, Hilco is also one of the leading North Carolina dump truck companies.
When it comes to waste management and recyclables, Hilco has contracts with some of the leading waste management companies in NC, including:
- Waste Connections
- Waste Management
- Republic Services
- Waste Industries USA, Inc.
Hilco Transport Jobs
Hilco Transport hires experienced drivers who put safety and professionalism first. Most positions require at least 12 months of experience driving a tractor-trailer. In addition, some positions require specialized experience and endorsements.
For example, tanker positions require:
- At least a year of tanker experience
- Tanker/Hazmat endorsement and/or X endorsement
- TWIC card or the ability to apply for one
Tanker drivers will be hauling liquid asphalt, propane, butane, jet fuel and petroleum. Waste truck drivers will only need 12 months of experience driving a tractor-trailer to qualify for a position at Hilco.
The company operates in several locations, with positions available at all of its terminals. These locations include:
- Greensboro, NC
- Wilmington, NC
- Kannapolis, NC
- Duncan, SC
- Troy, NC
- Clinton, NC
- Ashland, KY
Hilco Transport Pay Rankings
User Review( votes)
Hilco doesn’t provide any pay information on their website. However, their job listings do give an idea of how much drivers earn when working for the company.
According to job postings for Hilco, drivers earn:
- Up to $75,000 per year as a CDL A waste driver
- Up to $21/hour as a dump trailer driver
Salary data from our 3rd-party pay aggregators like Indeed.com states that the average salary for a Hilco driver is:
- $71,777 per year, OR
In North Carolina, the average truck driver salary is $44,140 per year, so Hilco’s pay is above average for the state. However, the national average has updated in 2021 and Hilco’s pay is about average on the national level.
Hilco Transport boasts one of the lowest turnover rates in its industry, and that’s partly because they offer competitive pay and excellent benefits. These benefits include:
- 401(k) w/matching after 12 months of employment
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance/AD&D ($10,000 policy at no cost to employees; option to increase coverage)
- Flexible spending account
- Paid holidays
- Vacation days (accrued monthly and based on the calendar year; drivers do not lose unused PTO)
- Referral bonus program
- Up to $8,000 sign-on bonus
Many drivers are home daily, which is a perk that many truckers don’t receive. Additionally, Hilco is ranked among the top carriers in North Carolina when it comes to safety. The company offers safety, developmental and training programs and policies. Their training curriculum includes education on hazardous materials, emergency response, PPE, vehicle inspections, drugs and alcohol, security awareness, product training and hazards, and more.
Hilco’s hiring process is simple and straightforward. The first step is to fill out an application, followed by a phone or on-site interview. Applicants then receive an offer letter and travel to Ashland or Greensboro in North Carolina for orientation. Orientation lasts one week, and all expenses are paid, including hotel and lunch.
Drivers also have room for advancement, and the company is willing to train employees to expand their skillsets.
For drivers who are looking for a challenging, fast-paced career in trucking, Hilco Transport may be a good fit.
Ready To Start Earning More