With competitive pay, excellent benefits and steady work opportunities, Koch Trucking offers great career opportunities for both rookie and experienced drivers. A part of Koch Companies, Koch Trucking is based in Minnesota, and the company offers driving opportunities in most states. With more than 30 years in the business, this is a carrier that you can rely on for stable work.
If you’re considering working for Koch, you may be wondering what careers are available and how the pay compares to other carriers.
Koch Trucking Jobs
Currently, Koch hires company drivers, owner operators and lease purchase drivers. Owner operators work for a specialized van fleet. Opportunities are available in all regions of the country for all three driver types. Each type has its own qualifications and benefits.
To be considered for a company driving position, you must meet the following requirements:
- 23 years of age or older
- Meet all DOT requirements
- Class A CDL
- Experience with more than one state driven
- Verifiable and stable work history
- Pass the company physical
- Acceptable driving record
- Pass the CRT Physical Evaluation
Naturally, you’ll need to be able to demonstrate that you can successfully handle all of the listed job requirements.
Company drivers enjoy great benefits, which include:
- Medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental coverage
- 401(k) with company match
- Long- and short-term disability
- Paid vacation
- Internet access available in cab
Medical and dental coverage will be effective after 90 days of employment. Vision and any voluntary coverage you choose will be effective the first month after your first 90 days of employment. 401(k) benefits will not be available unto the first quarter after your first 90 days.
Home times will vary depending on your location. A rider program is available, but passengers need to be at least 12 years old, and you’ll need to pay a $10/month fee. No pets are allowed in company equipment. Authorized tolls will be covered through the PrePass transponder.
Koch has five company terminals:
- Flower Mound, TX
- Ardmore, OK
- Minneapolis, MN
- Suwanee, GA
- Dublin, GA
Koch’s fleet consists of mostly International and Volvo models. Less than 1% of the company’s freight goes to New York, and van fleet drivers never cross over into Canada. The average length of haul is about 500 miles.
A Hazmat endorsement is preferred, but not a requirement. The company will reimburse you for the cost of obtaining this endorsement.
If you own your own truck, you can drive for Koch, too, but you’ll need to meet a few requirements.
- Current registration
- Proof of paid highway use tax (2290)
- Front and back copies of equipment title
- A recent scale ticket
- Bill of sale
- Occupational Accident Insurance
- Proof of Liability coverage
- Tractor trailer should be 7 years old or newer (older trailers will be considered)
- 5th wheel height cannot exceed 48”
- Wheel base cannot exceed 265”
- Must be able to scale 46,350 pounds
Owner operators are not eligible for the same benefits that company drivers receive. However, they will get a 10% discount on repair costs when taken to a Koch-affiliated shop. All shop rates are billed on work hours for added convenience.
Koch also hires lease-purchase drivers. While sparse details are provided on requirements and compensation, it appears as though these drivers are treated as owner-operators. They will not receive benefits, but will be given the 10% discount on repairs.
Lease Purchase Program
Koch’s lease purchase program is fairly straightforward and similar to what other trucking companies offer. Qualified applicants can lease right through the company. Just like their own fleet, Koch leases primarily International and Volvo models.
Unfortunately, the company does not offer a no-money down program. The first payment is due on week three, and the program lasts 30-36 months.
Leased equipment comes with an APU and an extended warranty.
Koch Trucking Pay Scale
You know what career opportunities are available and what the lease-purchase program offers, but what about pay? Are employees well-compensated? Let’s compare the pay rates for both company drivers and owner-operators.
Company Driver Pay
At Koch, company drivers earn $69,962 on average per year.
That’s a highly competitive salary. On top of the base salary, drivers can also increase their income through:
- Driver referral bonuses
- Public referral bonuses
- $3,000 bonus for completing orientation
- Monthly fuel incentives on dispatched miles
After searching through Koch trucking reviews and company job listings online, we saw the following salaries offered:
- $55,000-$63,000/year in Oklahoma – Regional Drivers
- $70,000/year in Saint George, UT – Hauling golf carts and ATVs (dedicated driver)
- $63,000/year for OTR in Dallas, TX
Pay is based on mileage calculated using PC Miler. Koch will pay up to $30 per stop with 5 stops on average per load. Drivers will also be paid $50 for unloading. Detention pay is $15.50 an hour if a driver is delayed at a customer for over 2 hours from the scheduled time.
Compensation for owner-operators is a bit more straightforward:
- $0.96 per mile (loaded or empty) if you have a Hazmat endorsement
- $0.95 per mile (loaded or empty) without the Hazmat endorsement
- $50 per stop
- All authorized scales, tolls and permits are paid for by Koch
- Base plates are paid for
- Fuel allowance provided for orientation
- 100% of the billed and collected fuel surcharge will be paid to you
Owner operators are also given:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- A maintenance account
- Fuel rebates
- Competitive shop rates
- Extended factory warranty (leased tractors)
- Free in-cab scanners and TripPak
- 10% discount on parts
Koch Trucking has a positive reputation in the industry, and it’s a family-owned and operated organization. When compared to other carriers, Koch offers competitive pay and great benefits.
Owner-operators have the opportunity to work with a stable, established company while enjoying the flexibility of being their own boss. Company drivers receive great medical and life insurance coverage as well as a great salary.
Whether you’re looking for a career as a dedicated, regional or OTR driver, Koch is sure to have a great opportunity for you.