New Penn is widely regarded as top 100 regional trucking company that focuses on delivering freight in the northeast. The company allows for truckers that are regional to be home at least three nights a week, or you can be home every night with local deliveries and pickups.
Job positions are available in four main states:
- New York
- New Jersey
CDL A drivers can be home multiple times per week, or they can stay on the road if they want to earn more money. You’ll have the flexibility and safety of driving in newer vehicles, you’ll be assigned a tractor and trailer, and you’ll also enjoy flexible scheduling and hours.
You must be at least 21 years of age to apply, you need a valid CDL A and you also need to have a low accident history.
Drivers must maintain activity logs and inspection reports as well as stay in communication with central at all times. If you can meet these criteria, you may have a position available for you at New Penn.
New Penn Freight Pay Scale
New Penn Trucking has over 200 salaries listed on Indeed.com. The company’s salary distribution is between $18,000 and $93,000 per year. The average salary is $48,440 per year.
New Penn Pay Rankings
User Review( votes)
The average salary is 8% lower than the national average, but this is a company that will ensure that you are home every night or every three nights.
For truckers that have a family or someone to come home to, this may be more than worthwhile due to the amount of time that you’re able to come home and be with your family. Local pickups and deliveries are available, but these are highly sought-after positions that will be hard to enter in most cases.
Average salary by hour includes:
- Truck driver earning between $11.20 an hour and $37 an hour, with the average salary being $21.38 per hour
- Local driver earning between $11.20 an hour and $37 an hour, with the average salary being $22.73 per hour
If you’re able to pick up a local position, you’ll be able to be home every night.
When working for the company, employees have a lot of great things to say, including:
- You’re a part of a union, so your rights are protected by your union reps
- Management is great, and a lot of the employees have been around for years
- It’s difficult to get fired from this job if you have tenure
- Superb benefits are offered to all drivers
New Penn Freight Benefits
New Penn Offers impeccable benefits to full-time drivers. If you are working with the company full time, they will pay 100% of your health insurance as well as:
- Overtime pay, which is normally 8 hours at most locations
- Daily home time as a local driver, most nights home as a regional driver
- 401K plan
- Pension plan
- Sick pay
- Vacation pay
- Weekly pay schedules
- Training program for drivers
- Access to modern facilities and equipment
Your health insurance will include medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance. The company wants their workers to stay in good health, and this is promoted through:
- Wellness incentives
- Health risk assessments
- Smoking cessation programs
New Penn Will also help you with your finances. When you’re a part of the company, you have access to:
- Life insurance, which is paid for by the company
- Optional accident coverage
- Dependent life coverage
- Company paid long-term and short-term disability
- Healthcare spending accounts, which are flexible
Your total awards package will allow for higher compensation than if you worked or drove for another trucking company. The benefits are a major selling point for any truck driver that is looking for a career in the northeastern part of the United States.
New Penn Trucking Reviews
Working with the company has many perks, and you’ll find that the reviews are rather good. You do have some employees that have complaints, but for the majority of people like working for this trucking company.
A few of the reviews that stand out include:
- Truckers find this job to be rewarding and fun, and they state that there is more than sufficient training for new drivers.
- The benefits are pretty good, and there are very few complaints about the benefits or sick pay offered.
- Drivers do enjoy the security that working with the union provides.
There are some complaints that management turnover is high, so it can be difficult to get in the groove with certain management teams. Drivers seem to stick around for much longer than management, and turnover seems to be an issue for many of the companies that we review.
You will work hard, but you will enjoy great benefits, decent equipment and the luxury of being home often, especially compared to other companies that offer sparse home time.
New Penn Trucking History
New Penn was founded in 1931 in Lebanon PA. The company is committed to day-to-day transportation, and it is now a regional LTL service. Careful handling and on-time performance have allowed the company to offer services in:
- Northeastern United States
- Puerto Rico
New Penn works with sister companies, including Holland and Reddaway, which allows for freight to be delivered to the western, mid-western and southeastern portions of the United States.
The company now has grown into a powerhouse that includes:
- 24 service centers
- 715+ tractors
- 1500+ trailers
- 1600+ employees
Regional LTL Carrier Status with YRCW
YRC Worldwide, a company on the NASDAQ and serves the world, is the owner of New Penn and provides regional LTL carriers status to New Penn and USF Reddaway.