Named one of the 2019 Best Fleets to Drive For, Nussbaum Transportation has been in the business for more than 70 years. Established in 1945, Nussbaum says integrity is its main philosophy and the reason for its success.
One thing that drivers should know is that Nussbaum has a faith-based stance. Their mission is “to honor God by impacting the lives of our employees, vendors, customers and community.”
They believe that God owns the business; they are merely stewards.
Their core values are:
- Honesty: They expect employees to be honest.
- Integrity: They expect employees to do the right thing.
- Character: They consider character one of the most important criteria when hiring new drivers.
- Excellence: They continually refine goals, boundaries, expectations and potential.
- Benevolence: They use their talents and profits to make a difference in those who need it.
While their faith is apparent in many aspects of the company, these values may help to create a positive work environment.
Nussbaum is now an employee-owned company.
They transferred 35% of ownership to a benefit plan called Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
Employees have a financial stake in the company, and their actions have a direct effect on Nussbaum’s performance as well as the value of their ESOP account.
Nussbaum funds the ESOP, and employees benefit from the increased value of the company’s stock over time.
Nussbaum Transportation Services
Nussbaum offers two main types of services: dedicated contract carriage, and irregular route truckload.
Dedicated Contract Carriage
- Round Trip
- Power Only Option
Irregular Route Truckload
- Point to Point
- Drop & Hook
The company serves a variety of industries, including:
- Electronics and appliances
- Automotive parts
- Heavy equipment
- Building and construction materials
- Wholesale and retail distribution
Nussbaum serves 48 states. The company’s headquarters is in Hudson, Illinois, which allows them to effectively serve customers in the Midwest as well as the continental United States.
Drivers are also domiciled in different locations to improve efficiency, including: Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Indiana, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Texas and more.
Nussbaum Transportation Jobs
Nussbaum makes it a priority to hire top-notch drivers, and they expect their employees to offer the best possible customer service.
Here’s what a company driver position will earn you:
- Pay that’s based on door-to-door practical miles that’s about 4-5% more than HHG
- Guaranteed weekly minimum paychecks
- Home time nearly every weekend
- Pet and rider programs
- Annual vacation and holiday pay
- Late-model trucks
- Major medical health benefits
- Rider program
- Vision benefits
- Dental benefits
- Life insurance policy
- Short-term disability benefits
- 401(k) retirement program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
Additionally, Nussbaum offers paid time off and holidays at $230/day.
- You start earning holiday pay just 30 days after being hired
- 1 week of vacation after 1 year of employment
- 2 weeks of vacation after 3 years of employment
- 3 weeks of vacation after 8 years of employment
On-the-Job Training for New Drivers
The company also offers on-the-job training, where drivers can earn over the road driving experience while training with professionals.
Nussbaum says they can prep new drivers to become a Certified Solo driver in just 4 months while earning at least $40,000 in their first year.
Qualifying applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have a CDL-A
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have no serious preventable accidents in the last 3 years
- Have no more than one moving violation in the last 3 years
- Have no reckless moving violations in the last 3 years
- Have no drug-related convictions in the last 7 years
- Have no alcohol-related convictions in a motor vehicle in the last 7 years
Nussbaum drivers operate late model equipment. In fact, the average age of a Nussbaum truck is just 2.5 years. The company uses Freightliner trucks exclusively.
New trailers are introduced to the fleet each year. New trailers replace older ones and increase the company’s capacity. They maintain an average age of 4 years on their trailers. All trailers are 53’ Duraplate HD trailers from Wabash National.
Nussbaum Transportation Salary
Nussbaum offers a family environment and reliable work, but how much do they pay?
Starting pay is based on your domicile location and your experience, but you can reach full pay tier within just 1-3 years.
Drivers are also paid for:
- Stop off
- Breakdown and layover
- Additional pay for short-haul loads
- Loaded and empty miles
- East coast premium
- Reimbursement for paid parking
Drivers typically earn $60,000-$68,000 in their first year, and they offer guaranteed pay increases during the first 1-3 years. But there are some newer drivers that earn around $45,000-$55,000 per year.
Established company drivers earn $64,000-$73,000 per year, but the average salary of company drivers is $67,147.43.
Drivers who are willing to work harder and succeed with their bonus program can earn more than $75,000 per year. The most diligent and dedicated of drivers earn about $89,000 per year.
Our experience with the company was great as well. We can speak to the amount of professionalism and intergrity they operate with and it sets the a high bar in the transportation (or any other) industry.