Named the fastest-growing transportation company on the Fortune 500, XPO Logistics is a leader in its field.
Safety-conscious drivers who want reliable miles through a financially stable employer will find that XPO is a good fit. The company offers a wide range of services and driving jobs across the U.S.
What is XPO Logistics?
XPO Logistics provides transportation and logistics services across the globe. They operate as a 3PL in 32 countries and have more than 50,000 customers, including 69 Fortune 100 companies.
The company was founded by Keith Avery and Michael Welch in 1989 and was originally known as Express-1 Expedited Solutions. Businessman Bradley Jacobs purchased the company in 2011 and took over as both CEO and chairman of the board.
In 2012, XPO established a national operations center in Charlotte, North Carolina. That same year, the company listed its shares on the New York Stock Exchange. Between 2012 and 2015, XPO acquired 17 companies.
As a global provider, XPO has two headquarters: one in Greenwich, Connecticut and one in Lyon, France.
Safety is a top priority at the company. One of their main objectives is to achieve zero job-related accidents and injuries.
XPO also makes sustainability a priority, and operates in a way that gives a high regard to the environment. They work closely with customers to create plans that reduce emissions by optimizing: routes, process automation and load consolidation.
XPO Trucking Services
XPO offers a wide range of services to meet the needs of customers across the world, including:
XPO has more than 30 years of experience in expedite. The company manages a large network of owner-operators who understand the critical nature of expedited services. These services are available in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
XPO offers expedited services through:
- Ground solutions
- Cross-border solutions
- Air charter solutions
XPO has 25,000 drayage trucks in their carrier network and the help of 2,300 owner operators.
- The company has terminals at every major port and rail ramp in the United States. Among them, 42 sites have secure storage, and 10 sites have container handlers for stacking
- GRS and satellite tracking
- Ocean drayage management services
- International drayage capabilities
- Certified hazardous materials handling
XPO’s full truckload services are backed by more than 38,000 brokered carriers that represent 1 million trucks. The company takes safety and reliability very seriously. They monitor safety ratings, operating authorities and insurance qualifications.
The company offers consistent and negotiated terms, through a single source, for their truckload service in Europe and North America.
XPO is the third-largest intermodal provider in North America. The company helps customers create plans for their long-haul freight through the largest intermodal networks in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
The company offers access to:
- 11,500 53-ft. domestic boxes
- 5,000 chassis owned by XPO
- 65,000 EMP and UMAX 53’ containers
- 50,000 units in XPO’s small box program
- Container storage at 42 terminals
Last mile plays an important role in the supply chain. On average, the company arranges about 40,000 last mile deliveries per day, primarily for e-commerce and omnichannel retailers.
The company works with more than 7,000 last mile contract carriers and independent service technicians. XPO has more than 85 last mile hubs in North America.
Flexible service options are available, including:
- Threshold delivery: Placed at the doorstep or a covered area.
- Curbside delivery: Placed in front of the building, near the curb.
- White glove delivery: Includes room-of-choice delivery as well as unpacking, standard assembly and installation, and removal of debris and old merchandise.
- Room of choice delivery: Brought to a specified room.
- Standard delivery: Includes room-of-choice delivery, unpacking, installation and debris removal
XPO has a network of trucks, drivers and terminals for regional, national and across-the-border shipping. The company is one of the largest LTL providers in North America. They have 8,000 tractors, 25,000 trailers and more than 13,000 drivers in their network.
The company’s LTL coverage extends to every state in the U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska.
XPO Logistics Careers
XPO Logistics offers a wide range of services, and they need a large network of drivers to fulfill those services. But is XPO a good company to work for?
Glassdoor named XPO one of the best places to work in the UK. XPO logistics reviews are mostly positive. Drivers are happy about their pay and the work itself.
But what if you don’t have your Class-A CDL yet? Also, is the company’s pay on par with competitors?
XPO offers 12 weeks of training, tuition-free, led by veteran drivers at the company.
Their training program combines classroom instruction with hands-on experience using professional equipment. Students receive 80 hours of classroom instruction and 160 hours of supervised behind-the-wheel experience.
After completing the program, passing the state exam, and passing the post-offer, pre-hire test (paid for by XPO), you’ll be given a full-time position and a driving assignment.
If you already have your Class-A CDL, you can apply for one of the many job openings at OPX.
Minimum requirements include:
- At least 21 years of age
- Hold a valid Class-A CDL
- Have a clean driving record and history
- Must obtain hazardous materials, doubles/triples and tank vehicle endorsements within 90 days of employment
- Must pass the DOT drug test, and have no prior refusals or positive tests
- Must pass a company-paid DOT physical as well as pre-hire test
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule up to 12-14 hours in a day
As far as pay goes, it really depends on the position and the location. But we have some pay data from job listings as well as Indeed.com.
According to Indeed, XPO Logistics regional drivers earn $78,000 per year on average.
XPO Truck drivers, in general, earn $65,071 per year.
XPO Logistics Pay Rankings
User Review( votes)
Looking at job listings, we can gather the following information on pay rates:
- Truck driver/home daily: $22/hour in Colorado Springs, CO
- Truck driver/home daily: $24.35/hour in Henderson, CO
- Truck driver/home daily: $21.85/hour in Cinnaminson, NJ
- Truck driver/home daily: $21.57/hour in Cheyenne, WY
- Truck driver/home daily: $23.87/hour in Jessup, MD
- Part-time driver/home daily: $25.06/hour in Ottawa, ON, Canada
At $23/hour, drivers would earn $47,840 per year, but most drivers will work more than 40 hours per week.
Virtually all of the open positions at XPO right now are in LTL and offer daily home time.
- Use the latest and most advanced technology
- Earn competitive pay
- Earn bonuses
- Can grow their careers in one of the fastest-growing companies in the industry
Drivers also enjoy a generous benefits package, which includes: medical, dental and vision insurance as well as life insurance, 401(k), disability and more.
What about Independent Owner-Operators?
XPO works with independent owner operators as well. Independent contractors can choose a mode that works best for them, including:
- Brokered truckload
- Intermodal and drayage
- Last mile
XPO Logistics is a major player in the transportation industry and works with some of the most successful companies in the U.S., including Pepsi, Disney, Toyota and L’Oréal.
Whether you’re an owner-operator or have a desire to be a company driver, XPO is a well-established company that will provide work for years to come. Drivers have the opportunity to earn a competitive salary as well as bonuses and the chance to grow in their careers.
Ready To Start Earning More