If you drive a semi-truck for a living, one of the most important coverages you can buy is truck roadside assistance.
In this post, you will discover top recommended providers of roadside assistance for semi-trucks. We will go over the level of assistance that each provides in detail, making it easy to find your next roadside assistance company.
Ready To Start Earning More
You can scroll down past our recommendations for a brief guide that explains what to look for when choosing truck roadside assistance.
Before we jump in with the reviews, let’s briefly go over why it is so important for all semi-truck drivers to get roadside assistance.
Why Semi-Truck Drivers Need Roadside Assistance
There are so many things that can go wrong when you are on the road. If your vehicle goes down, not only do you need to find a way to get your truck back up and running, but every minute you waste on the roadside is one where you are not getting paid.
Here are a few examples of scenarios where roadside assistance could come to your rescue:
- Your vehicle breaks down, and needs to be repaired before you can start moving again.
- You need a tire replaced.
- You need to get your vehicle towed for more comprehensive repairs.
- You accidentally locked yourself out of your semi-truck.
When you have a commercial truck roadside assistance membership, a roadside assistance worker or crew can be dispatched quickly to your location. They can then perform the necessary repairs and/or tow you to the nearest mechanic.
You can then get back on the road as swiftly as possible so you can finish your run.
How We Created This List
Choosing roadside assistance is not an area where you want to make a mistake as a truck driver. The quality of your plan or membership can make a massive difference when you are having a bad day on the road. The right plan can stop it from turning into a really bad day.
That is why when we put this list together, we did extensive research into the options out there for semi-truck drivers. Here are the criteria we used to select these programs:
- Services: The programs we selected all over a broad range of services. These include common services, and in some cases (like with Roadside Masters), some extra benefits that go beyond what most programs provide. If you go with any of our recommendations, you should have few or no gaps in your assistance.
- Value: We picked programs that are either fee-free (no membership fees or start-up fees) or which offer substantial added value that more than makes up for any associated fees.
- Customer service: The programs in our list all feature fast, friendly, knowledgeable and responsive customer service agents who will go above and beyond to make sure that your needs are met at any time of the day or night.
- Real-world experience: Finally, it is where the rubber hits the road that you really find out whether a roadside assistance program will measure up to your needs and expectations. To that end, we recommended programs that we have real-world familiarity with. These are all programs that truck drivers and owner-operators we know personally have used and had great experiences with.
Best Commercial Truck Roadside Assistance Programs
Now you understand the importance of having roadside assistance when you drive a semi-truck. You also know how we assessed programs to include in this list. Let’s take a look at some top providers to consider.
Roadside Masters is our top overall recommendation for truck roadside assistance. This company has been around since 2010, and provides roadside assistance to drivers of semi-trucks and a wide variety of other commercial vehicles. Roadside Masters has knocked our socks off with respect to cost-savings and extra benefits.
The company focuses on keeping costs as low as possible for customers; Roadside Masters claims that if you operate a fleet, your yearly savings could be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars when compared to getting roadside assistance through other carriers.
Here are some of the features and benefits of getting roadside assistance through Roadside Masters:
- Up to 50 miles of heavy-duty towing for free with an annual membership.
- Nationwide coverage.
- The company’s proprietary GPS technology ensures that they can arrive quickly on the scene.
- Assistance with mechanical breakdowns, jump starts and pull starts, tire replacement, lockouts, fuel delivery and more.
- Along with the types of roadside assistance above, this company offers some added benefits that you may not find with every competitor. Examples include discounted hotel stays, engine overhaul financing, truck financing, coupons for mechanic or cosmetic repairs, lease buyout financing and more.
Since Roadside Masters covers vehicles in Classes 1-8, you should be eligible for their roadside assistance program pretty much regardless of what you drive.
The other reason we are impressed with Roadside Masters is that they have received excellent reviews from other semi-truck drivers, who consistently praise their rapid response times, customer service and pricing.
If you want serious savings on comprehensive roadside assistance services, you cannot go wrong with Roadside Masters. They also offer a lot of extra benefits that you simply are not going to find everywhere. So, even though there is an annual cost, it is a great bang for your buck.
2. TTS Road Service
Next on our list of recommended roadside assistance services for truckers, we have TTS Road Service. When TTS first launched, it was only a flat tire company for truck drivers. Now, it is a full-fledged roadside assistance company that can keep you moving. Here are some features and benefits of TTS Road Service:
- There are zero registration fees or annual fees for membership with TTS.
- TTS’s services are highly customizable to your needs with respect to invoicing, reports, etc.
- Get help with roadside repairs, towing and additional needs.
- TTS can generally get someone out to your location within an hour.
Consider TTS Road Service if you want to customize your roadside assistance service to fit easily with your business processes. It is hard to beat TTS for flexibility.
3. Progressive Road Assistance
There is a good chance you are already using Progressive for your commercial and personal auto insurance needs; they are one of the nation’s biggest carriers. So, it is no surprise that they offer a quality heavy truck roadside assistance program. Features and benefits of Progressive Road Assistance include:
- Progressive gives you nationwide coverage for up to $5,000 in towing costs and up to $500 in labor. During every six-month period, your coverage extends to three incidents.
- This roadside assistance coverage can help you with winching, jump-starts, fuel delivery, delivery of other fluids, towing, flat tires or locksmith services.
- You can get coverage for almost any type of truck using Progressive Roadside Assistance.
Progressive is popular for its affordable insurance rates and discounts. It may be an especially ideal choice if you already use Progressive for your truck insurance, and want to bundle in roadside assistance.
4. Verizon Connect Roadside Assistance
Our next recommendation is Verizon Connect. If you have been shopping for fleet management software, you might already be familiar with them. Their software and tracking data helps fleets to boost their productivity and cut back on unnecessary fuel use to increase ROI.
Verizon Connect also offers commercial truck roadside assistance. Here is what you can expect:
- A convenient mobile app lets you contact a local provider for help (alternately, a member of the Verizon Connect staff can handle this step). This ensures that you get a rapid response so you can get back to driving as quickly as possible.
- Verizon Connect offers towing, fuel delivery, battery boost, lockout services, tire changes and winch services. You can use up to 4 service calls a year.
- If you are already a customer with Verizon Connect, you can rapidly get set up with the roadside assistance services using the Reveal live map.
While Verizon Connect is a great roadside assistance provider in general, it especially makes sense if you want to bundle that service with fleet management software.
5. Love’s Roadside Assistance
Finally, it is worth thinking about getting your trucker roadside assistance services from Love’s, a company that has been around since 1964. If you are already an experienced driver, you have no doubt stopped at Love’s locations before to take advantage of their affordable fuel prices and numerous on-site amenities.
Here is what you get when you sign up for Love’s roadside assistance:
- This company can help you out with flat tires, battery issues, and other basic services. Love’s operates tractor trailer repair shops nationwide. So, you do not need to worry about dealing with a random repair shop; you can look forward to Love’s quality.
- This company offers services in both English and Spanish.
- By partnering with Speedco and AdvantEDGE, Love’s says it has “the industry’s largest service network.”
If what you want most in a roadside assistance program is an extensive service network with consistent quality throughout the repair process, Love’s is an ideal option.
What Should You Look for in Commercial Truck Roadside Assistance Programs?
We have now compared some of the top roadside assistance programs for semi-truck drivers. But you might still need a little more guidance to help you choose the program that is right for you.
Let’s go over important considerations when choosing a truck roadside assistance program. Exploring these considerations will also help you understand the criteria we used to put together our list.
- Service area: Most truck road service companies will assist you nationwide. But you should always double check to make sure that a company operates in all of the states where you might need it. Another thing to check is whether you can get service on restricted roadways, toll roads, and in remote locations.
- Availability: You should be able to rely on your roadside assistance service 24/7/365. But you should never make assumptions about this; check to make sure that it will be there both when and where you need it before you commit.
- Trucks covered: Not every truck roadside assistance service covers every type of semi-truck. Check to make sure your vehicle is eligible.
- Response times: This is a big deal. Every minute of downtime feels like a century when you are stuck on the side of the road waiting. Not only are you not actively earning when you are not driving, but your deliveries may be late, which could harm your reputation and reduce your chances of repeat business. Ask what the estimated average response time is between when you call roadside assistance and when they arrive to help you. If you drive certain routes often, you could even ask about specific areas, especially those that are especially remote.
- Services: The services offered by most roadside assistance memberships are pretty similar, but some companies offer services that others do not. The more services available, the better.
- Coverage amounts: Roadside assistance does not cover repairs up to an unlimited amount of money. Check to see what the limits are for towing costs, labor and the cost of parts and supplies. With towing, there may be a time limit as well.
- Service call limits: Find out how many service calls you can make each year, and how many will be covered (most companies will still give you roadside assistance if you exceed the call limit, but you will have to pay the costs out of pocket for those extra service calls).
- Costs: Find out what costs are associated with a truck roadside assistance plan. Do you need to pay a sign-up fee? What about annual membership fees? Are there any other costs? After you account for the costs, is the plan still a good deal?
- Customer service: The quality of customer service offered through roadside assistance should be among your primary considerations. If you feel frustrated dealing with customer service just to ask a few questions while shopping for a plan, imagine how enraged you will feel working with that same incompetent team while stuck on the roadside. If, however, you find a roadside assistance plan backed by an excellent team, you will be able to trust they that they will rapidly dispatch help when you need it, keeping the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
- Setup: Find out what steps are involved with getting started with roadside assistance. How quickly can you complete them? How long does it take for your plan to kick in after you do? In many cases, it may be instant.
Standard Services Offered Through Roadside Assistance
Below, we go over some of the most common services that are available through roadside assistance. When you are comparing plans from different providers, be sure to check whether the services you need are included with the plans you are considering.
- Simple repairs: Sometimes the repairs you require might be simple enough that a mobile mechanic can take care of them right on the roadside where you went down. You can then get back to driving right away.
- Towing: There are many types of repairs that are not simple enough to take place on the roadside, unfortunately. For those repairs, you will need your vehicle to be towed to the nearest service center. Towing can be incredibly expensive even over short distances, so this is among the most critical services that you receive through roadside assistance.
- Fuel and fluids delivery: If you run out of fuel or other fluids while driving, roadside assistance can top you up. Be sure to ask how many gallons they can bring you.
- Battery: Your battery might need an adjustment or an outright replacement. This is a job that many roadside assistance workers can take care of.
- Tire Change: One of the most common reasons to go down on the side of the road is a flat tire. Roadside assistance can come out and change out the blown tire with your spare so that you can drive to a service center to get a new tire for your truck.
- Lockout services: Maybe you lost your keys or accidentally locked them inside your vehicle—it can happen to anyone. Many roadside assistance services will send a locksmith to your location to help you get back into your truck and on the road.
- Winch services: When a light-duty truck gets stuck, roadside assistance winch services can help pull it out of snow, mud or ice.
- Jump starts and pull starts: If you need someone to jump start or pull start your truck, that is another service that roadside assistance can render.
- Discounts: Along with heavy-duty roadside assistance, some providers offer discounts on hotel stays, repair services and more. These cost savings can really add up in some situations.
Stay Safe with Roadside Assistance
You know what to look for now when you are comparing truck roadside assistance programs, and you have had a chance to compare some of the top companies offering heavy-duty roadside assistance to semi-truck drivers.
For every professional truck driver, roadside assistance is an absolute necessity. Whether you operate a fleet of vehicles or you are an owner-operator with a single truck, you need to keep driving for your business to operate smoothly and revenue to keep flowing in.
With roadside assistance, you never need to worry about being stranded. You can stay safe, save time and money, and complete your deliveries rapidly even when things go wrong.
To get the roadside assistance you need to keep your fleet moving, you can sign-up below.
Ready To Start Earning More