This post was last updated on July 19th, 2019
Ward Trucking is primarily a less-than-truckload carrier (LTL transports freight from different shippers in a single truckload)with headquarters in Altoona, PA. It operates mainly in the northeastern and mid-Atlantic US. The company was founded in 1931 to haul freight from central Pennsylvania to New York City.
Ward Trucking PayScale
The average hourly rate for first year Ward drivers is just shy of $25 per hour.
Monthly median salary is $4100 per month.
Their annual payscale averages at $49,200.
About Ward Trucking
Ward Trucking operates around 375 tractors, 70 trucks and some 800 trailers through a network of terminals that stretch from New York to Illinois. Though LTL shipping remains the company’s core business, it also offers full truckload and logistics services through the Ward TruckloadExpress &Ward Logistics brand names.
The company was founding on solid business practices and sought out to over professional LTL services for regional runs.
- On time service – achieved through processes that measure on-time service and pickups, line-haul cut times, and a computerized dispatch system
- Low claims ratio –consistently below the industry average due to the company’s Stack Up Loading system
- Advanced technology – includes tools such as Ward Trucking’s interactive website, electronic data exchange capability, and a communications system which connects drivers with GPS software for route optimization, and real-time tracing capability
- Award-winning customer service and safety performance programs
- Competitive pricing – offers quality service at affordable price, including adjusted rates based on customer need
- Guaranteed service – a product that ensures shipment delivery at three time-specific options
- Complete coverage – overnight service to 99% of the company’s direct service lanes through 23 service centers, with partnerships throughout the US and Canada
- Professional workforce – ensures teamwork and fast service delivery at the highest safety and quality standards
- Financial stability – bolstered by Ward Trucking’s continued existence and growth for more than 80 years
Ward Trucking Logistics Service
Ward offers full-service logistics through Ward Logistics LLC
- Warehousing & Distribution service – full-service provider, flexible warehouse space, electronic data interface and real-time radio frequency inventory management and tracking, dedicated warehouse space for hazmat, food grade items and pharmaceuticals; also provides cross docking and rail service trans-loading
- Dedicated transport service – includes customer-captive fleet drivers that are on-site, pool truck delivery service, short-haul truckload, warehouse cartage; gain share programs and dedicated contract services with customer evaluation and design
- Supply chain service –features kitting and bundling service for assembly or distribution, inventory procurement, order and shipment management, parcel distribution software, transportation network analysis, freight consolidation and deconsolidation, and fleet management services
Ward Trucking Truckload Express
The Ward truckload service division is handled by Ward Truckload Express LLC.
- Standard services –provides overnight delivery, real-time tracking and satellite communications with electronic data interface; uses 53′ trailer fleet to give maximum loading capacity, trailer capacity of 3,920 cubic feet, and air ride tractors; insurance coverage up to $250,000; has a low cargo claims ratio; employs experienced drivers because of low turnover rate
- Eastern short-haul service – 30 units committed to short-haul service between points in Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland areas
- Midwestern short-haul service – short-haul truckload service between points in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.
Guaranteed delivery options
- Time definite delivery – guaranteed delivery at a specific time (45% upcharge and $303.00 minimum)
- AM delivery – guaranteed delivery by noon (30% upcharge, minimum $94.50)
- PM delivery – guaranteed delivery by 3 p.m. (20% upcharge, $65.00 minimum)
Ward Expedited Service
This service gives the assurance that freight is moving on a fleet vehicle exclusively dedicated for that shipment. Simplified booking procedures make both ground and air expedited selections fast and hassle-free. The expedited service is offered to any point in the US, Canada, or Mexico.
Ward Trucking coverage area and service centers
Ward Trucking operates mainly in the northeastern and mid-Atlantic US. It has service centers in the following locations: New Jersey (New York Metro); New York (Syracuse, Buffalo, and Newburgh); Pennsylvania (Erie/Youngstown, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Milton, Altoona, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Allentown, and Philadelphia); Ohio (Cleveland/Akron, Toledo, Columbus, and Cincinnati); Virginia (Winchester, Richmond, and Roanoke); Illinois (Chicago); and North Carolina (Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham). Ward Trucking also has satellite centers around these major service centers.